Some people don’t mind having a gap in their mouth, however it is important to be aware of the potential consequences of ignoring a missing tooth for an extended period of time. If you lose a tooth and don’t seek professional advice, it could eventually lead to a number of serious issues, ranging from aesthetic changes through to serious health concerns.
A missing tooth can lead to:
- A resorbed jaw bone, as a result, gum tissue gradually recedes, exposing the roots. As the bone begins to resorb, your face shape can change.
- Difficulty chewing and speaking.
- Neighbouring teeth often drift into the space that has been vacated, causing leaning and crowding.
- The teeth may tip or rotate, this can affect your bite and can even put strain on your jaw joint, causing you to experience unnecessary pain.
- Problems with your gums, root decay, and sensitive teeth.
- Losing a tooth can affect your speech – and your smile.
If you have a missing tooth, we can advise you on whether it’s best to fill that space with a denture, a bridge, or an implant, so you can keep your smile looking great and your mouth looking and feeling healthy.